The Jazzistry Elementary School Program is for students, from kindergarten on up!
The complete Elementary Program includes:
- A Teacher in Service Workshop
- 5 Artist Visits
- A full band presentation that lasts 45 minutes
Students are dazzled
Nothing compares to seeing the musical instruments, getting to know the artists, and hearing the sound of a live jazz band in full swing.
Students become engaged
Vincent York steps out in front of the band and talks directly to them, using playful anecdotes, marching, singing, and jazzed up versions of familiar tunes to win them over. Jazzistry’s goal is to delight elementary students with a type of music that most young people dismiss as old fashioned and to shed new light on history. With Jazzistry’s help, students make their own connections to music and history!
Students learn that jazz is an American treasure
Jazzistry explores the African roots of jazz, influenced by many other cultures and developed over a century by Americans of African descent. Jazzistry shows this music has enriched our lives as Americans in more ways than we can count!
Jazzistry is a jumping off place for learning lots more!
- The etiquette of listening to a live performance
- African musical instruments and traditions
- The instruments of the jazz band
- Great jazz musicians
- Blues poetry
- Slavery, the Triangle Trade, the Constitution, Bill of Rights – 5th grade
- Geography of jazz – 4th and 5th grades